SkyOS Forum

Center of conversation in the SkyOS community
It is currently October 21st, 2014, 8:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2004, 5:21 pm 
Beta Team

no one but robert knows how to do SkyOS drivers there is a DDK but no documentation with it

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19th, 2004, 2:07 am 
Beta Team

Last edited by Alfa on December 24th, 2009, 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2004, 11:04 pm 
Beta Team

I Cant see any OS survive whiteout 802.11g/b. Wireless are normal and the standard more and more these days.
At my home i even use WiFi for reading e-mails on my eMate-Newton from 1997 so making a new OS whiteout 802.11g well what can i say. I know that things have to comes one at the time, but better some drivers for 802.11 than new icons and GUI....

http://www.newtenlightment.de/support.h ... NewtonConf

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2004, 11:25 pm 
Beta Team

okay you say WiFi is more important than a new GUI.... right... can you see anyone using skyOS 3.9.X (very old release now) as their primary OS, just because it had WiFi support?... erm nope.

Tethered networks still out number WiFi ones theres one big wired network that springs to mind.... the internet, yeah WiFi maybe becoming more common but fact is:

- Ethernet has far superiour speeds my network here at home has a total speed of 5Gb/s for the main section, then all system off of that run at either 1gb/s or 100mb/s WiFi runs at what 56mb/s and thats if everything is perfect.

- Ethernet is more stable, WiFi is interfered with by any sort of radio wave or transmission, yes electromagentic waves interfere with ethernet too but it has the speed advantages to cope with a minor drop in speed

- Ethernet is more secure, 8 out of 10 all WiFi networks are in an open state meaning anyone can log on, to connect to an ethernet network you have to physically plug your system into the network.

yeah WiFi is a cool feature for an Os to support but i wouldn't say "oh it doesnt support WiFi its doomed"

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2004, 2:34 am 
Beta Team

Youlle wrote:
yeah WiFi is a cool feature for an Os to support but i wouldn't say "oh it doesnt support WiFi its doomed"

i agree on the majority of the points u made, so i won't argue specifics. while wifi is a cool feature, it is necessary for some of us. I own two computers, one downstairs running windows xp (though it ran various linux distros for the past 3 years as my only OS), and one upstairs running ubuntu linux. i rent an apartment and therefore cannot drill wholes to wire the house, nor would i want to see wiring up and down my walls (under the carpeting would require over 100 feet of CAT5's so that's not an option); do you see why i need wifi?

i plan on putting skyos on the upstairs computer whenever the OS receives wifi support because that's the only way i will be able to surf the web with it. if somehow skyos received drivers for all my hardware, no problem, i'll put it on my main computer, and not worry about wifi, but look at alternative OSen. it's taken 10 years for linux to get anywhere near useable, beos, solaris and qnx dont have near the hardware support linux does, and the same goes for countless others. give me wifi in skyos, and i can put it in an older pc which has more hardware supported (it's 6+ years old) than my main pc (which is 3+ years old).

granted, skyos still needs tons of work, and robert, chris, kelly are working hard to better the OS, but if SKyOS wishes to target home/business users, it needs to have some key features which it still does not have:

1. support for the majority of NICs (and i include wifi with this)
2. printing support
3. cd burner
4. full-fledged office suite
5. automatic partitioning at install
6. even more ease of use than we currently have
7. digital camera support
7. drivers, drivers, drivers

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2005, 8:01 am 
Beta Team

Youlle wrote:
well he was talking about more ppl using WiFi in the home, and i was stating that vast majority of WiFi networks in the home are about as secure as a rubber band, do you really want someone saying "well that skyOS is crap someone used my network for free internet"
What? That statement doesn't even make sense. Thousands of Windows and OS X Users and even linux users use other people's networks everyday. No one is going to say "Someone used SkyOS to access my network. Their OS sucks!".

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2005, 8:02 am 
Beta Team

I would love to see some wireless drivers though. I have an 802.11B card in my laptop and it would definately be an awesome beta testing machine and developing machine. Would be even better if it could use WiFi. I hate being held down by cords

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 31st, 2005, 5:25 am 
Beta Team

I never liked wireless networks till i tryed one, i bought my iBook a couple of weeks ago, and it has a wireless card built in, and the appartment block i am in has free open wireless networks for the use of those with laptops yeah alright there are some areas where there is no reception, but i don't actually know where the transmitter is to aim my notebook at it.

If skyos where to have wireless networking would airport extreem be covered? I don't know if it's a propriatory protocal, i assume not, since the holiday park's computers are XP, but i really don't know, been using Mac for only a couple of weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 31st, 2005, 5:50 am 
Beta Team

N'Jal wrote:
If skyos where to have wireless networking would airport extreem be covered? I don't know if it's a propriatory protocal, i assume not, since the holiday park's computers are XP, but i really don't know, been using Mac for only a couple of weeks.
SkyOS runs on X86 CPUs. PowerPC chips are not supported. When Apple converts to Intel chips, then you'll be able to run SkyOS but at this point, there is no point in supporting any Apple hardware and none of SkyOS is going to run on PowerPC. Unless I'm wrong and they made a compatable version for that platform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 31st, 2005, 6:06 am 
Beta Team

Kris wrote:
N'Jal wrote:
SkyOS runs on X86 CPUs. PowerPC chips are not supported. When Apple converts to Intel chips, then you'll be able to run SkyOS but at this point, there is no point in supporting any Apple hardware and none of SkyOS is going to run on PowerPC. Unless I'm wrong and they made a compatable version for that platform.

The AirPort Extreme would be the base station. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 31st, 2005, 6:14 am 
Beta Team

Tom wrote:
Kris wrote:
N'Jal wrote:

The AirPort Extreme would be the base station. ;)
AirPort Extreme

Apple makes 2 airport extremes (a card and a abse station). It sounded to me like he was refering to the card since a base station and any 3rd party router will look and act the same in any OS (because it's seperate from the OS) and, as long as wifi drivers exist, would work fine under SkyOS, Windows, Linux, beOS, Solaris, OS X, ect...

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2005, 8:27 pm 
Beta Team

I got an idea.. Linksys makes those Wireless Ethernet connector cards meaning you plug in your ethernet to them and connect to them and tell them the wireless router you want to connect to. Those will be a hot seller if people knew about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2005, 3:25 am 
Beta Team

Still no wireless support? Thought if I waited long enough..... :roll:

I think to be a "mature" OS SkyOS is going to need wireless support. Wireless is becoming very popular and very important in home computing (more so than in business), so any OS that doesn't support wireless could miss out on a fair home marklet share, IMO. Especially one that is solely a commerial OS that need to be purchased..... gotta fight for market share with all those free download *nix distros out that, that are starting to get reasonable wireless support. :wink:

Ah well, gotta get the latest beta and see if I can get networking to work now, wired. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2005, 5:33 am 
Beta Team

Mickwish, with any OS it takes time to get things all done. Example, the boot process is one, then graphics another.. I am not sure what order but I know they are working hard. And the beta testers make it better. I intend to get the full version even though I am a beta tester as a thanks to the skyos people for their development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2005, 6:29 am 
Visitor

I dont know I belive that 802.11 spec should of been incorporated into the network stack. I am not saying that it should be there now but I do bleive that there should be some kind of basic support. which in my terms would be a cli app a few basic test drivers. Where to start first I would simply say get the 802.11 spec in thre and have a simple prism2 dirver. prism 2 is the most well known driver there are bsd licenced versions of the driver code where Robert would not have to fear the evil GPL or what ever his stance on it is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next