SkyOS Forum

Center of conversation in the SkyOS community
It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 12:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Java libraries
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 12:12 am 
Beta Team

I cannot get a clear picture:

How far are you now with producing such libraries ?
What does it involve, anyway, scripts (high level) or coding ?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 2:42 am 
Beta Team

Being a Java programmer myself, this is something that I'm interested in. I cannot, however, dedicate any time ot the project because of my studies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2004, 10:35 pm 
Beta Team

Tom wrote:
Being a Java programmer myself, this is something that I'm interested in. I cannot, however, dedicate any time ot the project because of my studies.

QUICK: We must find somebody else to do it, then - I mean people, a team !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 5:21 pm 
Beta Team

srry, I'm a Turing beginner but not a Java programmer.

xboxrulz

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 5:30 pm 
Beta Team

what do you mean by library? if you mean the standard class library than noone needs to write it coze it is written. see www.classpath.org they wrote oll of those and they even have almoast all swing implemented. I can run eclipse with those classis. so yes there is an opensource implementation of java class librarys but we need a JVM first. A lot of people here told me that there is one ported allready but I wasn't able to find it and they never provided exact infos about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2004, 10:42 am 
Visitor

Everybody said that we needed _native_ apps, so I think that's the reason why nobody is working on Java. I don't mind because I don't like it.

"Saying that Java is good because it works on all platforms is like saying anal sex is good because it works on all genders." << hehe :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2004, 1:47 pm 
Beta Team

NetSlayer wrote:
Everybody said that we needed _native_ apps, so I think that's the reason why nobody is working on Java. I don't mind because I don't like it.

"Saying that Java is good because it works on all platforms is like saying anal sex is good because it works on all genders." << hehe :wink:

but sex is good! anyways, i dont think anyone's working on java ATM, because it's not all that important. sure it give u the ability to do cross-platform stuff; great, but we have dotGNU which once Robert implements Window.Forms will do the same thing. And personal, i prefer the .NET port over a Java port, since .NET is so much faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2004, 6:12 pm 
Beta Team

strestout1 wrote:
i dont think anyone's working on java ATM, because it's not all that important. sure it give u the ability to do cross-platform stuff; great, but we have dotGNU which once Robert implements Window.Forms will do the same thing.

It's not just about creating software that works on multiple platforms. It's about programming in a language that you like and is good for the task. I know Java, but I have no clear idea of what dotGNU really is because I haven't needed it so far. Having Java would therefore be useful for me.

strestout1 wrote:
And personal, i prefer the .NET port over a Java port, since .NET is so much faster.

I prefer the Java port over the .NET port because I can code in Java so much faster. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2004, 6:47 pm 
Beta Team

java is a very used platform ..specially by the companies. To say that java is not important it's plain wrong. First there is a java version almoast for everything..and who sais that java is slow has no clue what he is talking about. And second you need java for correct web brawsing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2004, 6:49 pm 
Beta Team

you only need Java VM for sites that include JavaScript, even then Java and JavaScript are two different things

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2004, 9:02 pm 
Beta Team

Youlle wrote:
you only need Java VM for sites that include JavaScript, even then Java and JavaScript are two different things

heh, I think you mean "You only need the Java VM for sites that include Java applets."

And yes, Java is pretty darn useful on the desktop. A good example is 'HartMath', a Java program that I use for my math class for graphing and symbolic calculations.

Post subject: Java in Sites
PostPosted: November 14th, 2004, 1:28 am 
Beta Team

Youlle wrote:

I, to, already know JavaScript is different.

Surely, that is very, very many nowadays and, without he capability, we would be very hampered, as with the earlier versions of browsers that could not interpret it...?

Thus, I ask: Is the current VM equal to having the Sky-browsers respond to all such commands the Internet will throw at them nowadays...?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2005, 12:40 am 
Visitor

I could care less about .NET
Java can run everywhere. that is why I prefer Java. If I write an application I'd like to be used on all my systems, Windows, Linux and SkyOS when 5.0 comes out. Don't see a purpose for developing an application if I can't use it everywhere I want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 2:57 pm 
Beta Team

smileaf wrote:
Don't see a purpose for developing an application if I can't use it everywhere I want to.

Thus eliminating all native applications. :roll:

To clear up the JavaScript issue, they have already ported Firefox, which means JavaScript is at least mostly implemented.

I would like to see a Java port for SkyOS, but I believe that getting one would be rather hard. I know that Sun has just recently given out the source under their own license, which I dislike. However, it would probably be easier to port the gcj version of Java, which is under the GPL, however this version is a few versions behind. Basically, it's a lose/lose situation.