SkyOS Forum

Center of conversation in the SkyOS community
It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 2:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Glad I Didn't Spend Money
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 8:13 am 
Visitor

Well I remember when everyone was going off a few years back that if you wanted it, you had to pay for it.

Glad I didn't spend money for something like this...

LIke I said before and I'll say again, EVEN MICROSOFT let's you download and use beta and rc versions for free....

GEE didn't anyone install and use Windows 7 beta or RC for FREE? :)

How much money did SkyOS take from everyone?

You should REFUND everyone! :evil:

Post subject: Re: Glad I Didn't Spend Money
PostPosted: November 7th, 2009, 4:43 am 
Beta Team

I dont know about anyone else, but I payed for it knowing this was a possibility.
Honestly, I payed $30 over 5 years ago. It wasnt that much, and its long gone. $@*# happens.
Truth is, I got way more than my money's worth and if I could go back in time knowing what I know now, I would pay for it again.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2009, 5:45 pm 
Staff Member

computrius wrote:
I dont know about anyone else, but I payed for it knowing this was a possibility.
Honestly, I payed $30 over 5 years ago. It wasnt that much, and its long gone. $@*# happens.
Truth is, I got way more than my money's worth and if I could go back in time knowing what I know now, I would pay for it again.

I wasn't going to respond to the original post, but I definitely want to echo what computrius said.

computrius wrote:

This is absolutely the case with me.

And DasFox, who the hell are you? You weren't a beta tester. You've got only 5 posts, broken down as

<RobertSz> For me days have 72 hours, so it is no problem :)

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 6:16 am 
Staff Member

Matt Turner wrote:
And DasFox, who the hell are you? You weren't a beta tester. You've got only 5 posts, broken down as

Sounds like a cool guy. Ironically, perhaps it's the negativity of people like him that cause projects to come to a halt.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 9:10 pm 
Beta Team

Location: Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth
I payed € 25 back when I joined.
And I think € 25 is a fair amount.
No reason to complain.

Also. €25 would include the final product.
How is final product defined?
As Robert stopped developing
it, it could be said the current version
*is* the final product.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2009, 7:38 am 
Visitor

I also spend money for Electronic equipments specially Computers, mobiles etc. Ans its nice to know that you also spend money like me.
Thanks
Micheal

PostPosted: November 24th, 2009, 3:52 am 
Beta Team

Kelly wrote:

Sounds like a cool guy. Ironically, perhaps it's the negativity of people like him that cause projects to come to a halt.

While I paid to be a beta tester, I hope you don't really mean that. Instead of using superstition, wouldn't it make more sense if we said that an OS created from scratch, closed source, by a small team of devs is an almost impossible task nowadays? (Except of course for a toy OS, but that is not how SkyOS was intended).

PostPosted: February 14th, 2010, 5:25 am 
Visitor

Kelly wrote:
Matt Turner wrote:

Well I came back to see how things are and what do I find, SkyOS has taken a dump.

Who the heck am I? A an IT Tech that knows the world of computing and my negativity has nothing to do with the halting of a OS project.

It's the time and effort needed that causes issues, even the developer said on the Home page he/they can't keep up with the pace of technology to keep the development going. You know that's a pretty lame excuse, because anyone involved in technology knew 10 years ago that as technology progressed it would move at a much faster pace, so this was very poor judgement on the developers part.

Well as I said before it was wrong of them to charge you money.

Glad I didn't waste my money, but I am sad to see a project die, because as a true Geek I don't wish for any project to die.

Being negative was never my intentions, I was merely pointing out what the developers were doing was WRONG!

Next time guys I hope you'll learn better, you don't pay to play with in-development software! :(

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2010, 6:30 pm 
Visitor

Quote:
even the developer said on the Home page he/they can't keep up with the pace of technology to keep the development going. You know that's a pretty lame excuse

I agree.
you may know that AmigaOS is again under development since 5 years and it continues to develop even if "you can't beat Windows".
I mean, if you really want to do it, you can.

Now maybe SkyOS died because of the non-free beta versions but nobody knows.

Anyway if someone still would like to see it, there is an older build on P2P networks ;-)
Just tried SkyOS and in a few minutes of test, I can say it certainly looks nice. IMO, it eats up too much memory (300MB). Even AmigaOS 4.1 can run with less than 100MB. But SkyOS was a very good alternative OS.

I sincerely hope developers will join other efforts out there to build an OS which everybody likes, be it AmigaOS, Haiku, Syllable........

PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 4:35 am 
Staff Member

DasFox wrote:
Kelly wrote:
Matt Turner wrote:

Well I came back to see how things are and what do I find, SkyOS has taken a dump.

Who the heck am I? A an IT Tech that knows the world of computing and my negativity has nothing to do with the halting of a OS project.

It's the time and effort needed that causes issues, even the developer said on the Home page he/they can't keep up with the pace of technology to keep the development going. You know that's a pretty lame excuse, because anyone involved in technology knew 10 years ago that as technology progressed it would move at a much faster pace, so this was very poor judgement on the developers part.

Well as I said before it was wrong of them to charge you money.

Glad I didn't waste my money, but I am sad to see a project die, because as a true Geek I don't wish for any project to die.

Being negative was never my intentions, I was merely pointing out what the developers were doing was WRONG!

Next time guys I hope you'll learn better, you don't pay to play with in-development software! :(

No offense, but this is one of the worst attitudes I've ever encountered. Essentially, what you're saying is that when a task seems insurmountable, you should simply pack up and go home. What a defeatist attitude. If everyone had your attitude, there would be no airplane, no space program, no computers...in all likelihood, humankind would never have progressed past hunting and gathering.

Was developing an OS from scratch with one system developer, a few app developers, and a few others contributing in their spare time unlikely to be enough to take on behemoths like Microsoft and Apple? Of course...but was it worth a shot? Absolutely.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. Working on SkyOS was one of the coolest and most interesting times in my life. I should be so lucky as to have another opportunity like this again.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2011, 7:35 pm 
Beta Team

Kelly wrote:
Essentially, what you're saying is that when a task seems insurmountable, you should simply pack up and go home. What a defeatist attitude. If everyone had your attitude, there would be no airplane, no space program, no computers...in all likelihood, humankind would never have progressed past hunting and gathering.

Is it not more a matter of being realistic? Of not fighting against the windmills?

Everything at the right time, in the right circumstances. When Robert closed the source and started working on SkyOS 5, it was already 2004. That means that Windows, Linux, OS X were all already very advanced. Thus you don't go on a one man crusade, telling the world that you are going to overtake Microsoft Windows all on your own, and asking your fans to pay 30 Euro if they want to help testing your betas. There are many hobby OSes which have done things right: Haiku, Syllable, ReactOS... no big promises and no money asked from their beta testers.
Now back to insurmountable tasks: when Linus created Linux he didn't expect it would one day become something that big. That was due to the right circumstances and to thousand of developers joining the project.
Steve Jobs and Bill Gates created almost single handed Microsoft and Apple. But again, right time and right circumstances.
You say that DasFox's attitude is the wrong one. With that kind of attitude we wouldn't have any of the modern comforts.
Now we know that neutrinos can probably go faster than light. But in order to achieve that result they needed thousands of people and billions Euro.
Or would you try to build on your own a spaceship like the ones we see in Star Trek?

PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 1:55 am 
Beta Team

Alessandro wrote:
There are many hobby OSes which have done things right: Haiku, Syllable, ReactOS... no big promises and no money asked from their beta testers.

Those OSes take donations, and get help from big development firms. They also have many more people working on them. That was perhaps the main issue with SkyOS - a complete modern OS is probably too much for one person to handle, especially part-time.

Quote:
Now back to insurmountable tasks: when Linus created Linux he didn't expect it would one day become something that big. That was due to the right circumstances and to thousand of developers joining the project.

This - I think SkyOS got further on one man's talent than any other OS, but it cannot go the distance on one man alone.

Quote:
Now we know that neutrinos can probably go faster than light. But in order to achieve that result they needed thousands of people and billions Euro.
Or would you try to build on your own a spaceship like the ones we see in Star Trek?

Uhhhh... not sure where that end statement is going. :lol:

PostPosted: November 14th, 2011, 9:23 pm 
Beta Team

Location: Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth
Wasn't that an error in the measurements?

PostPosted: January 15th, 2012, 3:27 am 
Beta Team

JLF65 wrote:

Uhhhh... not sure where that end statement is going. :lol:

It simply means that "big" projects need (plenty of) time, resources and manpower.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2012, 10:59 am 
Visitor

I believe that the SkyOS main problem is not the development stopping, but the "closed-sourceness".

I still hope to see a source code disclosure one day...

Last but not least, just a couple of links:

• http://www.pyro-os.org/ - a brand-new Syllable fork
  • http://www.haiku-os.org/ - nothing to say, but devs should take it in serious consideration (they *engage* developers under regular contract)

Hope that inspires !